While studying for my math final, I found this problem in my math book:
A contractor has agreed to pour the concrete for the floor of a garage. He knows the area of the floor is 221 sq. ft, but cannot remember its dimensions. He does remember that the dimensions are prime numbers.
When I read this my first thought would be: fire the contractor. I wouldn't want him guessing on the size of my garage, then find out that it's too narrow and that all I can use it for is to store junk.
My second thought would be: this guy has a very stange memory. He can't remember what the dimensions are, but he remembers they are prime numbers. Interesting the way he prioritizes these things.....
And finally, if this guy can figure out the dimensions of the garage using Trinomial Factoring, why is he stuck as the guy who pours concrete for garages? Why doesn't he get a better job?
If you really want a laugh about a math problem, check out this post on WJUK's Blog:
http://wjuk.blogspot.com/2008/05/not-mauled-by-land-sharks.html
Scroll down to about halfway through. It's a lot better than mine.....
The Mist
1 year ago

No comments:
Post a Comment